Baked Chicken Parmesan! EASY and quick, simply bread the chicken cutlets with Parmesan and crumbs, bake in the oven, and top with a fresh, homemade tomato sauce. This baked chicken parmesan is delicious. Serve with noodles.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, finely chopped (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes (we use Muir-Glen)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil (or 1 Tbsp of chopped fresh basil)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano (or 1 teaspoon of chopped fresh oregano)
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast cutlets (or skinless boneless chicken breasts or thighs that have been pounded to a 1/4-inch thickness)
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs (panko or homemade)
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 Make the sauce: Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan on medium high heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Stir in the crushed tomatoes, basil, oregano, sugar, a pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer.
Continue to simmer until sauce thickens a bit and flavors meld, about 10-12 minutes. Taste sauce, adjust seasoning if necessary, cover and keep warm.
2 Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with foil, parchment, or Silpat. While the sauce is simmering, prepare the chicken in the next steps.
3 Make the coating: In a large bowl whisk together the mustard, vinegar, salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.
Add the chicken cutlets to the mixture and coat well on both sides.
4 Dredge the chicken: In another bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, grated Parmesan, and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper. Mix well and stir in the melted butter. Transfer to a shallow plate.
Dredge the chicken pieces in the breadcrumb mixture, gently pressing the breadcrumbs into the chicken cutlets. Place dredged chicken on the lined baking sheet.
5 Bake: Bake at 450°F on the center rack of the oven until cooked and golden brown, about 15 minutes.
6 Serve: Serve with a side of rice, noodles or pasta. Ladle sauce with the chicken.