Cherished family recipe for Banana Cookies! Soft and cake-like, these cookies are a delicious way to use up your overripe bananas.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 cup mashed bananas (about 2 ½ large bananas)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace or nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup pecans (walnuts and chocolate chips are fine alternatives)
1 Preheat the oven to 350°F. Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the egg and continue to beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
2 In a separate bowl, mix the mashed bananas and baking soda. Let sit for 2 minutes. The baking soda will react with the acid in the bananas which in turn will give the cookies their lift and rise.
Mix the banana mixture into the butter mixture.
3 Whisk together the flour, salt, and spices. Add to the butter and banana mixture and mix until just combined.
4 Fold pecans or chocolate chips (if using) into the batter.
5 Drop in dollops onto parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake for 11-13 minutes or until nicely golden brown. Let cool on wire racks.