Jackfruit makes an easy, meat-free meal any night of the week. Here, we're making tacos! Warm it up with your favorite BBQ sauce and pile it into tortillas with all your favorite toppings.
- 2 (14-ounce) cans jackfruit in brine, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce, store-bought or homemade
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 10 to 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1 ripe avocado, thinly sliced
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1/3 cup corn kernels, canned or fresh from the cob
- 1/4 cup sour cream (optional)
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
1 Shred the jackfruit: Using your fingers or forks, break apart the chunks of jackfruit into shredded pieces.
2 Cook the onions: In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and jalapeño and cook for an additional 1 minute, until the garlic is fragrant.
3 Cook the jackfruit: Add the shredded jackfruit to the pan with the onions and stir well. Add the barbecue sauce, cumin, oregano, coriander, smoked paprika and salt to the pan.
Stir to evenly distribute the spices and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes, or until the jackfruit is browned and slightly crisped around the edges. Fold in the orange zest.
4 Assemble the tacos: Warm the tortillas and add a large spoonful of cooked jackfruit to the center of each. Top with avocado, radishes, cilantro, cabbage, corn, sour cream and a squeeze of lime.