Recipe by Melissa Clark of The New York Times.
Instant tapioca is needed as a thickener. You can make this without it, but it will be quite runny. If you don't have instant tapioca, you can try substituting corn starch.
- 8 cups mixed fresh berries: blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries
- 1 Tbsp quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 to 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, depending upon sweetness of berries
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds.
1 Preheat oven to 350°F.
2 Mix berries with tapioca, sugar, zest: In a large bowl put berries and mix with tapioca, sugar and lemon zest. (Without tapioca, crumble will be very runny.) Set aside.
3 Make the topping: Whisk together the flour, sugars, spices and salt in a large bowl. Stir in the melted butter and almonds until coarse crumbs form.
4 Assemble: Pour the filling into a 9-inch square or round pan (do not grease first). Using your fingers, form topping mixture into 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch crumbs and spread over cake.
5 Bake: Bake at 350°F until filling bubbles and topping is light golden, about 45-55 minutes.
Let cool at least half an hour. Serve warm.