Featured in 7 Smoothies to Kick off January
Have you ever tried making a savory smoothie?
This non-alcoholic, breakfast-worthy spin on a traditional Bloody Mary cocktail is a splendid (s'blended!) introduction to veggie-based smoothies.
Loaded with flavor, this bold blend will seduce you with every sip. Add more Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, horseradish, and lemon juice for an even bolder experience.
To elevate the experience, try salting the rim of your glass and serving with a celery stick. You won't even miss the vodka.
Get the book! The Blender Girl Smoothies: 100 Gluten-Free, Vegan, and Paleo-Friendly Recipes by Tess Masters
Bloody Mary Smoothie
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup (66g) diced celery (about 2 ribs)
- 1/2 medium avocado, pitted and peeled
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh horseradish (not horseradish sauce), plus more to taste
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce, plus more to taste
- 10 dashes Tabasco sauce, plus more to taste
- 2 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped red onion
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon natural salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 cups (250g) ice cubes
- Optional boosters:
- 2 teaspoons cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon goji powder
- Special equipment:
Throw all of the ingredients into your blender and blast on high for about 1 minute, until smooth and creamy. Tweak flavors to taste (you may want more horseradish, Worcestershire, Tabasco, lemon juice, or pepper).
Reprinted with permission from The Blender Girl Smoothies, by Tess Masters, copyright ©2014, 2015, published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC.
Bloody Mary cocktail here on Simply Recipes