Classic Italian Bolognese meat sauce! Ground beef, pork, and Italian sausage, simmered for hours in a base of onion, celery, carrot, pancetta, and tomatoes. Seasoned with cloves, cinnamon, salt and pepper.
- 2 ounces diced pancetta, finely chopped
- 1 medium Spanish onion or yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 11 ounces ground beef
- 4 ounces ground pork
- 4 ounces ground Italian sausage
- 1 freshly ground clove
- Dash of freshly ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds peeled and chopped tomatoes (or one 28-oz can whole peeled tomatoes, packed in water)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 Make the soffritto: Combine pancetta, onion, celery, and carrot in sauté pan with butter and cook over medium heat until onion turns pale gold.
2 Add the ground beef, pork, sausage: Add the beef, pork, sausage to the soffritto, and cook until browned.
3 Add the spices: Sprinkle with the clove, cinnamon, and pepper.
4 Add the tomatoes and simmer: Stir in tomatoes, bring to a simmer and reduce the heat to medium. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes. If you are using whole canned tomatoes, break them up as you add them to the sauce.
5 Add milk, salt, simmer for 2 hours: Add milk and season with sea salt. Then turn down the heat and simmer for 2 and 1/2 hours. Stir at least every 20 minutes.
Whenever the sauce gets too dry and starts sticking to the pan, just add 1/4 cup of water and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
Can easily freeze for future use.
Serve with pasta.