Mashed sweet potatoes are great, but add a little bourbon and they become outright decadent! Make this easy side dish for Thanksgiving or a holiday party this year.
- 3 pounds garnet sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 3 to 4 Tbsp of bourbon whisky
- 4 Tbsp butter (more or less to taste)
- 4 Tbsp brown sugar (more or less to taste)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 Boil the sweet potatoes until tender: Place the sweet potato chunks in a large (5 quart) pot, cover with water. Add a tablespoon of salt to the water. Bring to a boil. Cook until tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
2 Mash the sweet potatoes: Drain the cooked sweet potatoes and return them to the pot on the stove. Lower the heat to low.
Add the bourbon and the butter to the pot and stir. Add the brown sugar and vanilla extract and stir.
Mash with a potato masher until smooth. Add more salt, bourbon, butter, and brown sugar to taste.