Don't toss your broccoli stems! They're sweet and tender, and fantastic tossed with cabbage, carrots, and a tangy cranberry orange dressing for this delicious slaw.
For the dressing (makes about 1 cup):
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dried sweetened cranberries, plumped up in warm water for 5 to 10 minutes, then drained
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt, more to taste
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
For the salad:
- About 6 stalks broccoli (about 4 cups grated; can substitute pre-grated packaged broccoli)
- 2 cups grated carrots (from 4 to 6 carrots)
- 2 cups shredded cabbage (Napa cabbage, green, or red cabbage)
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon (or more to taste) Kosher salt
1 Prep the broccoli: If using fresh broccoli stalks, cut them away from the broccoli crowns. Peel the tough outer layer with a vegetable peeler. Either use the grater blade of a food processor or the large holes of a box grater to grate the broccoli stalks. You should have about 4 cups of grated broccoli.
2 Make the dressing: Put the balsamic and red wine vinegars, plumped dried cranberries, mustard, honey, garlic, orange juice, orange zest, and salt into a blender or a mini food processor and pulse until puréed smooth.
Slowly add the olive oil, while pulsing or blending, to form a good emulsion. Then add the mayonnaise and pulse until blended.
3 Assemble the salad: Place grated broccoli stalks, carrots, cabbage, the onions, dried cranberries, orange zest, and Kosher salt into a bowl.
Add the dressing and toss to combine, until the dressing is evenly distributed.
You can make this several hours ahead of time before serving. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.