Cauliflower, first boiled briefly, then sautéed with toasted pine nuts, bacon or pancetta, garlic, lemon juice and chile pepper flakes.
- 1 cauliflower head, cut into florets (see How to Cut and Core Cauliflower)
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 pound bacon or pancetta, cut into batons
- 4-5 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1-2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Lemon juice to taste
1 Boil cauliflower in salted water: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the cauliflower for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2 Toast pine nuts: While the water is heating, toast the pine nuts in a dry sauté pan until lightly browned. Keep an eye on them, as pine nuts go from toasted to burnt quickly. Set the pine nuts aside when they are toasted.
3 Fry bacon: Add the bacon to the pan and fry gently over medium heat until crispy. Remove the bacon and set aside with the pine nuts.
4 Sauté the garlic for 1 minute on medium-high heat, then add the cauliflower, pine nuts, bacon, oregano and red pepper flakes. Toss to combine and sauté for 3-4 minutes, stirring often. Do not let the garlic burn.
5 Turn off the heat and add salt and lemon juice to taste.