That's why I was intrigued when I saw a recipe for celery stir-fry in my friend Nancy Hachisu's Japanese Farm Food cookbook, a simple celery stir-fry with chili infused oil and soy sauce.
Such a simple preparation, and so so good. Try it!
Celery Stir Fry
- 2 Tbsp high quality canola oil, rice bran oil, or other cooking oil
- 3 small dried chile peppers, broken in half (can sub a 1/8 teaspoon of red chili flakes)
- 4 cups julienned celery (cut into pieces about 2 inches long)
- 1-2 Tbsp soy sauce (to taste)
- A few drops of dark sesame oil (optional)
Heat the oils and chiles in a wok or frying pan over high heat for 90 seconds, or until the chiles become fragrant and the seeds sizzle.
Add the celery and stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add the soy sauce and stir-fry one more minute. Drizzle with dark sesame oil if using. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Stir-Fried Celery with Meat Sauce - from The Wednesday Chef
Chunky Celery Soup - from 101 Cookbooks
Japanese Pickled Celery - from Just Hungry
Creamy Celery Soup - here on Simply Recipes