You can customize the egg mixture by adding cheese, cooked meat, or other vegetables.
- 4 cups shredded potatoes, from 2-4 peeled russet potatoes, squeezed of moisture
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 10 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions, from about 2 stalks
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed
1 Preheat oven to 450° F
2 Prepare the muffin tin: Grease a standard 12 well muffin tin generously with cooking spray.
3 Make the Hash Brown Cups: In a medium bowl, combine shredded potatoes, shredded cheese, melted butter, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
4 Press and bake the hash brown cups: Using your fingers, a spoon or even a shot glass to help form the cups, press the mixture firmly and evenly into the bottoms and up the sides of each well.
Bake until brown and crispy, about 20 minutes, and remove from the oven.
5 Reduce the oven to 375° F
6 Prepare the egg mixture: In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chopped scallions and thawed and squeezed spinach. Make sure to break up any lumps of spinach.
7 Bake: Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, ladle the egg mixture into the muffin tins with the hash brown cups. Bake until eggs have puffed and set, about 15-17 mins.
8 Serve: Let cool slightly and then use a knife or a small rubber spatula to loosen the edges of each hash brown cup, gently remove and serve.