If you're looking for an easy chicken recipe to make for this salad, try Easy Poached Chicken.
For the buttermilk dressing:
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
For the garlic toasts:
- 4 slices of crusty artisan-style bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
For the salad:
- 2 hearts of romaine, leaves torn in half, or any other crunchy leafy salad green
- 2 cups shredded or sliced leftover chicken
- 2 medium ripe avocadoes, sliced
- A small piece of Parmesan (about 1 ounce), shaved with a vegetable peeler
1 Make the dressing: In a small mixing bowl or a jam jar, combine the shallots, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Let stand for 5 minutes. Add the mayonnaise and buttermilk, and whisk to combine (or put the lid on the jar and shake). Add the chives. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
This dressing can be made ahead and kept refrigerated for about a week.
2 Make the garlic toasts: Preheat the oven to 375°F. Brush the bread slices with oil and place on a rimless baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden and crispy on the outside. Remove from the oven and cool them on the pan. Rub the garlic clove over each slice.
3 Assemble the salad: Divide the romaine between 4 bowls or plates. Top each with avocado, chicken, and Parmesan. Drizzle with the dressing. Serve with the garlic toasts.