Fresh summer tomatoes, garbanzo beans (chickpeas), hard boiled eggs, onions, and parsley, tossed with a light vinaigrette—here are the makings of a surprisingly delicious summer salad!
I particularly love the balance in the salad – the acidity of the tomatoes and vinegar with the sweetness of the onions, the parsley which supplies a bitter, the salt, the olive oil, and the protein from the beans and eggs.
It’s a complete, light meal in itself.
Chickpea and Tomato Salad Recipe
If you really want to take the dressing up a notch, add 4 minced anchovies (salted, canned) to the mix. The dressing will not taste like anchovies, but the addition will make everything taste better.
- 2 15-ounce cans of garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed, or 3 cups cooked chickpeas
- 4 tomatoes (about 2 lbs.), cored and chopped
- 4 large hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup of chopped red onion, green onion, or sweet yellow onion
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 Tbsp of white wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 Tbsp)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning (or 1/2 teaspoon dry thyme or a teaspoon of fresh chopped thyme)
1 Combine the garbanzo beans, tomatoes, and onions in a large bowl.
2 Put the dressing ingredients into a small jar, close the lid and shake until the dressing is emulsified. Pour over beans, tomatoes and onions.
You can chill the undressed salad up to six hours, until ready to serve.
3 When ready to serve, gently stir in the chopped eggs and parsley.
Hello! All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. Thank you!
This post may contain links to Amazon or other partners; your purchases via these links can benefit Simply Recipes. Read more about our affiliate linking policy.