If you really want to take the dressing up a notch, add 4 minced anchovies (salted, canned) to the mix. The dressing will not taste like anchovies, but the addition will make everything taste better.
- 2 15-ounce cans of garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed, or 3 cups cooked chickpeas
- 4 tomatoes (about 2 lbs.), cored and chopped
- 4 large hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup of chopped red onion, green onion, or sweet yellow onion
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 Tbsp of white wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 Tbsp)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning (or 1/2 teaspoon dry thyme or a teaspoon of fresh chopped thyme)
1 Combine the garbanzo beans, tomatoes, and onions in a large bowl.
2 Put the dressing ingredients into a small jar, close the lid and shake until the dressing is emulsified. Pour over beans, tomatoes and onions.
You can chill the undressed salad up to six hours, until ready to serve.
3 When ready to serve, gently stir in the chopped eggs and parsley.