For a vegan version, substitute 1 block cubed tofu for the chicken.
Two poached chicken breasts will make enough for this recipe. See: How to Poach Chicken Breasts.
For the salad:
- 2 large English cucumbers or other thin skinned cucumbers, such as Persian or Japanese (2 to 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound (about 2 cups) shredded cooked chicken, cold from the fridge
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, to serve
- Cilantro leaves, to serve (optional)
- Dried red chili flakes, to serve (optional)
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, tamari, or coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons finely grated ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 Smash the cucumbers: Wash cucumbers well and pat dry. Use the flat edge of a large knife or cleaver to smash the cucumbers in several places along their length. The cucumbers should split into several strips.
Use your hands to break the cucumbers into bite-sized pieces.
2 Salt and drain the cucumbers: Transfer the cucumber pieces to a colander and place the colander inside a large bowl. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and toss gently so all the pieces are salted evenly.
Refrigerate for 30 minutes. As they sit, the salt will draw moisture from the cucumbers, which will collect in the bottom of the bowl.
3 Make the dressing: Whisk together rice vinegar, soy, honey, ginger, minced garlic, and cilantro. Chill in the fridge while cucumbers are draining.
4 Assemble the salad: Transfer the cucumbers to a serving bowl. Add the shredded chicken and dressing. Toss to combine and dress the salad. Taste and add an extra splash of vinegar or soy sauce if needed.
Divide between serving plates and top with sesame seeds, dried chili, and more cilantro. Serve immediately. (Leftovers do not keep well.)