I don't know about you, but our family typically roasts a turkey that provides at least twice as much meat, if not more, as we actually need for our Thanksgiving meal, leaving us with many meals to plan using turkey leftovers.
Here is a quick turkey salad I whipped up today (and turned into a sandwich) that uses chipotle powder, jalapeños, and cilantro for a Southwestern touch.
Chipotle is just smoked, dried jalapeños; the chili gives the turkey salad a slightly smokey, spicy kick. It's great in a sandwich with avocados and sliced tomatoes!
Chipotle Turkey Salad
- 1 cup chopped cooked turkey meat
- 1/4 cup chopped white or red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh or canned jalapeño chili pepper (to desired heat)
- 1 Tbsp chopped cilantro or parsley
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder (to taste)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Mix chipotle powder into mayonnaise.
Put turkey, onion, celery, jalapeño, cilantro into a medium sized bowl. Fold in the seasoned mayonnaise until well mixed. Add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Serve with avocados and sliced tomatoes, as a salad or in a sandwich.