Buy tequila marked "100% de agave and that has been aged for at least 2 months.
- 1 1/2 ounce (3 Tbsp) blanco tequila (also called plato or silver tequila)
- 1 ounce (2 Tbsp) orange liqueur, such as Triple Sec, Cointreau, or Grand-Marnier
- 1/2 ounce (1 Tbsp) freshly squeezed lime juice
- Plenty of kosher or flake salt for glass, optional (do not use iodized salt)
- Ice cubes, optional
- Lime wedges for garnish, optional
1 Salt your glass (optional): Pour some kosher salt into a wide bowl or small dish. Take a wedge of lime and generously rub it around the rim of your glass. Dip the rim into the salt.
Fill the glass with some fresh ice and set aside. (Skip the ice if you like your margarita straight up.)
2 Make the cocktail: Place the tequila, orange liqueur, and lime juice in a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake for 10 seconds, and then strain into a prepared cocktail glass. Garnish with a lemon wedge if desired.