Make-ahead Tip: The bacon and the dressing can both be prepared several days ahead. Reheat the bacon briefly in the microwave before serving, if desired.
- 6 thick strips bacon
- 2 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, or more to taste
- Dash hot sauce, like Tabasco, or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, or more to taste
- Heavy cream or milk, as needed to thin the dressing
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 12 red or yellow cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
1 Prepare the bacon: In a heavy skillet, fry the bacon strips, turning often, for 5 minutes, or until they are evenly golden and crisp all over.
Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Cool and crumble.
2 Make the blue cheese dressing: In a food processor, combine the blue cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, Worcestershire, hot sauce, salt, and pepper. Pulse the mixture until smooth. Taste for seasoning and add more Worcestershire, hot sauce, salt, or pepper, if you like. If you need to thin the mixture, add heavy cream or milk, 1 teaspoon at a time.
3 Prepare the iceberg lettuce: Discard the outer leaves of the lettuce. Halve the lettuce through the core. Cut each half into 3 wedges so each piece has some core attached to it. With the wedges flat on the cutting board, trim out the tough part of the core from each wedge, but leave enough so that the wedges stay intact.
4 Assemble the salads: Arrange the wedges on six salad plates. Spoon some dressing over the wedges. Sprinkle with bacon, tomatoes, and chives.