Hearty Colcannon Potato Soup! With potatoes, leeks, cabbage, kale, stock, and cream.
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 2 cups sliced leeks (see How to Clean Leeks)
- 2 cups sliced and chopped green cabbage
- 2 cups sliced and chopped kale (we use lacinato kale)
- 4 cups peeled and diced Russet potatoes (about 3 pounds, 3/4-inch dice)
- 6 cups chicken stock (see How to Make Chicken Stock)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
1 Melt butter in a large, heavy bottomed soup pot on medium heat. Add the sliced leeks, cabbage, and kale, toss to coat with the butter. Lower the heat to low, cover and gently cook until the greens are wilted, about 12 to 15 minutes.
2 Add the diced potatoes to the pot, along wit the chicken stock, bay leaves, and salt. Increase heat to bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, and cook until the potatoes are softened and falling apart, about 15 to 20 minutes.
3 Remove from heat. Swirl in the white pepper, heavy cream, and sliced green onions. Taste and add more salt and pepper to taste.