You can make this salad ahead of time on the day you want to serve it, but add the almonds at the last minute. The salad is still good the next day but it's best served on the day you make it.
You can substitute tamari almonds for the smokehouse almonds, in which case, you do not need to rinse them.
Wonderful served with sliced tomato and avocado and chicken for lunch.
- 16-ounces frozen petite peas (do not thaw)
- 6 ounces smokehouse almonds, rinsed to take off the excess salt, chopped (preferably by hand)
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 8 ounces chopped water chestnuts
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp yellow curry powder
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 Remove the excess salt and chop the almonds: In a fine-mesh strainer under cold running water, rinse the almonds to remove the excess salt. Spread between 2 paper towel layers and pat dry. Spread on a cutting board, and coarse chop with a large knife.
2 Combine the salad ingredients: In a large bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, curry powder, salt, and pepper until smooth. Add the peas, scallions, and water chestnuts to the bowl.
Gently fold the salad into the mayonnaise dressing. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if you like. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
3 Add the almonds: Just before serving, stir in the chopped almonds.