Most crab lovers know that fresh crab pairs well with avocado. But have you ever tried it with roasted hazelnuts (also called Filberts)?
Roasted hazelnuts have a naturally buttery flavor that goes beautifully with shellfish like crab and lobster.
The idea for this salad came from a crab hazelnut pear appetizer I had that was prepared by Oregon chef Jason Stoller Smith.
Crab Salad with Pear and Hazelnuts
- 1 1/2 cups fresh lump crab meat
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 firm, but sweet pears, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (or 3 tablespoons Meyer lemon juice)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 4 large pieces of butter lettuce, rinsed and patted dry
Toss together the ingredients:
In a medium sized bowl, mix the hazelnuts, celery, pear, onion, parsley, lemon juice, olive oil, ground pepper, and salt.
Gently fold in the lump crab meat:
Try not to break up the crab too much.
Serve in butter lettuce leaves:
Make individual servings, about a half cup each over a piece of butter lettuce.