Cranberries are widely available this time of year, and you can use fresh or frozen for this recipe. And brie is mild in flavor, but when served with foods that are tart (such as cranberries), the creaminess is amplified. Don’t concern yourself with removing the rind from your wheel of brie: it’s completely edible!
Spiced Cranberry Sauce
- 1-inch piece of ginger, or 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 vanilla bean, or 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (12-ounce) bag (about 3 1/2 cups) fresh or frozen cranberries, rinsed
- 1 3-inch cinnamon stick (or 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon)
- 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary, divided
- Juice of 1 naval orange (about 1 /2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon of orange zest
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 8 ounces brie cheese, cut into 1” cubes
- 2 (1.9 ounce) boxes fully baked phyllo shells (30)
1. Prep the ginger and vanilla: Peel and then thinly slice the ginger (using the edge of a spoon is the easiest way). Use a sharp paring knife to split the vanilla bean down its length.
Open the vanilla bean slightly to ensure the seeds are extracted during cooking.
2. Make the Cranberry Topping: In a 3-quart saucepan, combine the ginger, vanilla bean, cranberries, cinnamon stick, 1 sprig of rosemary, orange juice and zest, maple syrup, and the salt.
Stir the ingredients together and heat over medium-high heat for 3 minutes, or until the mixture starts to boil.
3. Reduce the topping: Reduce the heat to low, and allow the cranberries to cook until they begin to split open. Stirring frequently, cook the cranberries for 8 to 10 minutes, or until they've reduced a bit and thickened to a jelly-like consistency.
Remove the pan from the stove and add the light brown sugar. Stir constantly to dissolve the sugar and coat the cranberries in a thick glaze.
Allow the cranberries to cool to room temperature, leaving the spices in it.
4. Prep your Air Fryer: Set your Cuisinart® Air Fryer Toaster Oven’s function dial to Air Fry and the temperature dial to 300°F. Remove both the Air Fryer basket and the baking pan from the oven, then turn the on/oven dial to 10 minutes to preheat the oven.
5. Fill the phyllo cups: While your Air Fryer is heating, fill your phyllo shells with the pieces of brie. It’s easier to leave the shells in the packaging while you’re trying to fill them. Remove the shells from the plastic packaging and arrange them, a dozen at a time, in the Air Fryer basket.
6. Bake the shells: Place the baking pan, with the Air Fryer basket nestled inside, into the oven in position 1. Bake the shells for five minutes.
Once the shells have finished baking, remove them from the Air Fryer Toaster Oven and carefully remove them from the basket. Repeat this step, baking the shells by the dozen, until they are all baked.
7. Prep the rosemary topping: While the shells are baking, pick off the remaining rosemary leaves in clusters of two or three leaves. Set aside to garnish the canapés when you’re done topping them with the sauce.
8. Top with cranberry sauce and garnish: Once you have baked all of the brie-filled shells, top each with a teaspoon of cranberry sauce, leaving the cinnamon stick, vanilla bean (if you used one), rosemary sprigs and slices of ginger in the pan. Pull out any pieces of rosemary orAny remaining cranberry sauce may be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Garnish the top of each canapé with the sprigs of rosemary leaves you picked earlier.
9. Serve! These canapés are best served immediately, but can be held at room temperature for up to 2 hours.