Rich and creamy spinach soup, with fresh or frozen spinach, onion, potatoes, broth, cream and sour cream. Serve hot or chilled.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach - packed - (or 1 10-oz package frozen spinach, thawed)
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered (about 1 pound)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegetarian option)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes (or vegetable bouillon cubes for vegetarian option)
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- Optional: chopped chives and/or ground allspice for garnish
1 Cook the chopped onion: In a large saucepan over medium heat, sauté onion in butter for 4 minutes or until translucent.
2 Build the soup: Add potatoes, chicken broth, water, and bouillon cubes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
Add spinach and cook for 2 to 4 minutes longer until spinach is tender.
3 Purée the soup, whisk in half-and-half: Working in batches, purée soup mixture in a blender. Return to saucepan. Whisk in half-and-half, salt and pepper.
4 Whisk in sour cream: Over low heat, bring to just before simmering. Whisk in the sour cream. You may want to use an immersion blender to get the sour cream fully incorporated.
This soup can be served hot or chilled. Garnish with chopped chives, sprinkles of allspice, or a dollop of sour cream.