If you are using English cucumbers, which are more mild and thin-skinned than the regular cucumbers we get in America, you do not need to peel them.
- One large (or two medium) cucumbers, peeled, cut in half lengthwise and seeded, then grated
- 2 cups (475 ml) plain whole milk yogurt
- 10 large mint leaves, thinly sliced* (can sub cilantro)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin**
- Pinch of cayenne
- Pinch of paprika
- Salt and pepper
* To slice the mint leaves, "chiffonade" them by stacking them on top of each other, rolling them up like a cigar, and taking thin slices off the end.
** If whole cumin seeds are available, take one teaspoon and toast the seeds first in a small skillet until just fragrant. Then grind with a mortar and pestle.
1 Place grated cucumber in a sieve and press with the back of a spoon to squeeze out as much moisture as you can. Alternatively, you can place the grated cucumber in the middle of a clean tea towel, wrap the towel around the cucumber and wring out the excess moisture.
2 Stir spices and mint into yogurt in a medium bowl. Stir in the grated cucumber. Chill until ready to serve.