EASY Butternut Squash Soup with Pears, seasoned with curry and ginger
- 6 cups cubed butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons yellow curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 2 cups peeled, chopped Bartlett pear (about 1 pound, 3 pears)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup pear nectar
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock (use veg stock for vegetarian option)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 small Bartlett pear, cored and thinly sliced
1 Sauté the butternut squash: Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil and 1 teaspoon butter in a large, thick-bottomed pot on high heat. Add half of the cubed butternut squash. Toss to coat with the oil. Let cook until lightly browned on several sides.
Remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl. Repeat with the remaining butternut squash. Remove to a bowl.
2 Cook the onions and spices: Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pot. Add the chopped onion. Lower the heat to medium and cook for a few minutes to soften.
Then add the curry powder, ground ginger, and nutmeg. Cook for a few minutes more.
3 Add the chopped pear, and toss to coat. Cook for a minute more.
4 Add water, stock, pear nectar, salt, pepper, then simmer: Add the browned butternut squash to the onion pear mixture. Add the water, stock, pear nectar, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil on high heat; partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
5 Purée: Purée using a stick blender or if using a standing blender, purée a third of the soup at a time.
If the soup is too thick for you, add a little water to thin it. If it is too thin for you, bring it to a boil and let it boil down a bit.
6 Add cream: Turn off heat. Stir in 1/4 cup of cream.
Ladle soup into bowls, and garnish with pear slices.