Easy one-pot curried turkey soup, a Mulligatawny made with leftover turkey, apples, rice, curry powder, stock, onions, carrots, and celery.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 4 teaspoons yellow curry powder
- 4 cups of chicken or turkey stock
- 1/4 cup raw white rice (we use basmati)
- 2 green apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (may add more to taste)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups of chopped cooked turkey meat
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Sour cream or plain yogurt for garnish
- Chopped chives for garnish
1 Cook onions, celery, carrots in butter, add curry powder: Melt butter on medium high heat in a large (6 to 8 quart) thick-bottomed pot. Add the onions, celery, and carrots.
Lower the heat and cook until softened, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Add the curry powder and cook for a minute or two more.
2 Add the bay leaves, stock and rice, increase the heat to high and bring the stock to a simmer. Lower the heat to maintain a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes.
3 Add the chopped apples, salt, and pepper. Simmer for 10 more minutes.
4 Add the chopped cooked turkey to the soup. Return to a simmer and stir in the cream. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
5 Serve: Serve garnished with a drizzle of yogurt or sour cream that has been thinned with a little water and some chopped fresh chives or parsley.