For this curried turkey salad I've used a mix of yogurt and mayonnaise. The yogurt provides the tang, the mayonnaise the creaminess. Feel free to substitute at will between the two depending on your preference.
- 2 cups chopped cooked turkey meat
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, chopped*
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice*
- 1/4 cup of raisins and/or dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion or chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (can substitute parsley)
- 1 rib celery chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon yellow curry powder
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Salt and pepper
*Once you've chopped the apples, sprinkle with lemon juice to keep them from discoloring.
1 Heat the curry powder until fragrant: In a small skillet, heat the curry powder on medium low heat until quite fragrant. Remove from heat. Do not linger too long over the heat or the curry powder will start to toast.
The point of this step is to heat it enough to release more of its flavor. You can easily skip this step if you are in a hurry.
2 Make the curry powder mayo mixture: In a large bowl, mix the curry powder, yogurt, mayonnaise, honey, and ground ginger. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3 Fold in the remaining ingredients: Gently fold in the chopped, cooked turkey, apple, raisins/dried cranberries, green onions, cilantro, and celery. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
4 Serve: Serve on a bed of lettuce greens or in a sandwich.
Options: for a little more zing, add a little mango chutney to the dressing.