This Greek salad is a favorite of my father's to make during the summer.
We usually have plenty of tomatoes and cucumbers growing in the garden, and all you have to do is toss in some red onions, olives, bell pepper, feta cheese, a few herbs, and some olive oil and vinegar and you have beautiful, cooling, fresh, Greek salad.
All the best ingredients and flavors of Greek cuisine, all in one easy summer salad!
What to Serve With Greek Salad
You can serve this salad as a side for just about any of your summer favorites, like grilled chicken or grilled fish. It's terrific with pita bread that has been brushed with olive oil and toasted or grilled.
The dressing for this recipe can be made up to three hours ahead and kept at room temperature.
Except for the tomatoes, all the vegetables can also be chopped a few hours ahead of time and kept refrigerated. Tomatoes are much better when fresh and un-refrigerated, so wait to add those until just before serving.
Toss all the vegetables with the salad dressing and sprinkle with cheese when ready to serve.
What's in Greek Salad Dressing?
The ingredients in this salad are so fresh and vibrant that they only need a simple dressing to bring them together. This one uses olive oil (here's our favorite!), lemon juice, garlic, red wine vinegar, oregano, and dill.
This dressing will separate so if you make it ahead just whisk it together before dressing your salad. Even better, make it in a jam jar and just give the jar a few shakes before pouring it over your salad.
Tame Your Onions
If you're not a huge fan of raw onions try this tip from Elise's mom: soak the chopped onions in a little vinegar or lemon juice while you chop the rest of the salad ingredients. This softens their flavor and makes them a little more palatable.
Try These Other Summer Side Salads!
Easy Greek Salad
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill, or 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large plum tomatoes, seeded, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cucumber, peeled, seeded, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 red onion, peeled, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, seeded, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives (preferably brine-cured), coarsely chopped
- A heaping half cup crumbled feta cheese
Whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, vinegar, oregano, and dill together until blended. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
This can be prepared 3 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. Re-whisk before using.
Combine salad ingredients:
Combine the tomatoes, cucumber, onion, bell pepper, olives in a bowl. Toss with dressing. Sprinkle with cheese and serve.