Great Summer Salad
This Greek salad is a favorite of my father’s to make during the summer.
We usually have plenty of tomatoes and cucumbers growing in the garden, and all you have to do is toss in some red onions, olives, bell pepper, feta cheese, a few herbs, and some olive oil and vinegar and you have beautiful, cooling, fresh, Greek salad.
All the best ingredients and flavors of Greek cuisine, all in one easy summer salad!
What To Serve with Greek Salad
You can serve this salad as a side for just about any of your summer favorites, like grilled chicken or grilled fish. It’s terrific with pita bread that has been brushed with olive oil and toasted or grilled.
The dressing for this recipe can be made up to three hours ahead and kept at room temperature.
Except for the tomatoes, all the vegetables can also be chopped a few hours ahead of time and kept refrigerated. Tomatoes are much better when fresh and un-refrigerated, so wait to add those until just before serving.
Toss all the vegetables with the salad dressing and sprinkle with cheese when ready to serve.
TRY THESE OTHER SUMMER SIDE SALADS!
Easy Greek Salad RecipePrint
Tip from my mom: to take some of the bite away from the onions, after you chop them, soak them in a little vinegar or lemon juice.
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill, or 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large plum tomatoes, seeded, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cucumber, peeled, seeded, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 red onion, peeled, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, seeded, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives (preferably brine-cured), coarsely chopped
- A heaping half cup crumbled feta cheese
1 Make dressing: Whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, vinegar, oregano, and dill together until blended. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
This can be prepared 3 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. Re-whisk before using.
2 Combine salad ingredients: Combine the tomatoes, cucumber, onion, bell pepper, olives in a bowl. Toss with dressing. Sprinkle with cheese and serve.
Hello! All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to Easy Greek Salad on Simply Recipes. Thank you!Print
Products We Love
This post may contain links to Amazon or other partners; your purchases via these links can benefit Simply Recipes. Read more about our affiliate linking policy.