Deviled eggs on their own are great, but turning them into a salad brings the flavors of paprika, hot sauce, onions, and salt and pepper together for a versatile, transportable, end-of-summer dish.
- 12 large eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon cider, white wine or sherry vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco or other hot sauce (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (more or less to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
1 Hard boil the eggs: The easiest way to make hard boiled eggs that are easy to peel is to steam them. Fill a saucepan with 1 inch of water and insert a steamer basket. (If you don't have a steamer basket, that's ok.)
Bring the water to a boil, gently place the eggs in the steamer basket or directly in the saucepan. Cover the pot. Set your timer for 15 minutes. Remove eggs and set in icy cold water to cool.
2 Prep the eggs and veggies: Chop the eggs coarsely and put them into a large bowl. Add the green onion, celery, and red bell pepper.
3 Make the salad: In small bowl, mix together the mayo, mustard, vinegar, and Tabasco. Gently stir the mayo dressing into the bowl with the eggs and vegetables. Add the paprika and salt and black pepper. Adjust seasonings to taste.
Best served chilled.