If you’re a fan of flavorful dips and spreads for scooping up with bread or veggies, muhammara is going to be your new best friend.
Muhammara is full of flavor and a snap to make. Pomegranate molasses gives it a pleasing tang, but don’t worry if you don’t have it in your pantry; a combo of balsamic and honey will do the trick in a pinch. Leftover muhammara is excellent as a sandwich spread or spooned over cooked chicken or fish.
HOW TO USE MUHAMMARA
Think of muhammara much like you might hummus, as a flavorful dip or spread with multiple uses:
- Spread it on sandwiches, such as grilled vegetable or sliced turkey.
- Spoon it over grilled chicken or fish.
- Use it for dipping raw or roasted vegetables.
- Scoop it up with warm pita bread or crispy pita chips.
- Swap it in for tomato sauce on pizza and flatbreads.
HOW TO STORE AND FREEZE MUHAMMARA
Store muhammara in the fridge, where it will keep up to a week. You can also store it in an airtight container in the freezer for up to three months.
ABOUT POMEGRANATE MOLASSES
Pomegranate molasses is pomegranate juice that’s been reduced down to a thick, tangy syrup. You can find it in organic markets, specialty stores, and online. You can also make it yourself using this recipe.
OTHER DIPS TO ENJOY:
Easy Muhammara Recipe
- 1 (12-ounce) jar roasted red bell peppers (7 ounces of peppers), drained well
- 3/4 cup walnut halves
- 1/2 cup fresh whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses, homemade or store-bought (or 1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar + 1 teaspoon honey)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 Make the muhammara: Put all of the ingredients into the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse until nicely blended, but not completely pureed, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.
Hello! All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. Thank you!
Products We Love
This post may contain links to Amazon or other partners; your purchases via these links can benefit Simply Recipes. Read more about our affiliate linking policy.