If you don’t have or can’t find low sodium soy sauce, use 3 tablespoons of regular soy sauce and 1 tablespoon of water.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped broccoli (crowns and stems)
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame or peas
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 cups cooked and cooled white or brown rice
- 1 tablespoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons finely minced garlic
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce, plus more for serving or 3 tablespoons regular soy sauce and 1 tablespoon water, plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil (regular or spicy)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions, white and light green parts, plus more for garnish
- Wok or large skillet
1 Cook the veggies: Heat a wok or a large skillet over high heat until very hot. Add 1 tablespoon of oil, and then the broccoli, carrots, cabbage, zucchini, peppers, and edamame.
Stir often until the vegetables are crisp-tender, about 4 minutes (they will get another few minutes to cook at the end of the stir fry so it's ok if they're still crunchy right now). Transfer them to a plate and set aside.
2 Scramble the eggs: Heat 1 more tablespoon of oil in the same wok or skillet over high heat. Add the beaten eggs and scramble quickly, just about 1 minute. When they are just cooked through, slide them out onto the plate with the vegetables.
3 Stir fry the rice: Return the wok to the burner over high heat, add the remaining tablespoon of oil, then add the cooled rice . Stir fry, stirring occasionally, until it is lightly browned in spots, about 5 minutes.
Add the ginger and the garlic to the rice, and stir until they're fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the soy sauce, sesame oil, and 1/2 cup scallions.
4 Finish the stir fry: Return the vegetables and eggs to the wok with the rice. Cook, stirring often, until everything is combined and hot and the vegetables are just tender, about 3 minutes.
5 Garnish and serve: Sprinkle the additional scallions over the top, and serve right away, passing soy sauce on the side for those who want a bit more.