An egg salad sandwich is one of the easiest sandwiches in the world to make, especially if you have hard boiled eggs already made. It's also a great way to use up leftover eggs after Easter.
How to Make an Egg Salad Sandwich
How do you make an egg salad sandwich? Just chop up some hard boiled eggs, add little chopped celery for crunch, some green onions or chives for the green factor, a dash of salt and pepper for seasoning, and a spoonful of mayonnaise to bind everything together. Easy!
Video: How to Steam Hard Boiled Eggs
Ever have hard-to-peel hard boiled eggs for egg salad sandwiches? Try steaming them!
How to Steam Hard Boiled Eggs
Egg Salad Sandwich Tips:
- Add a dash of curry powder. There is one more ingredient that will give your simple egg salad a special zing, and that is a dash of yellow curry powder. Not only will the curry powder give your egg salad sandwich a gentle spicy lift and it will give it a bit more color as well.
- To mayo or not to mayo? You can substitute the mayonnaise in an egg salad sandwich with some ripe avocado; if you do that you'll need to add some vinegar or lemon juice for an acidic component, and add more salt than you would expect. Personally I prefer my egg salad sandwich with a hefty amount of mayonnaise. That said, the amount of mayonnaise is completely a matter of taste.
More Add-Ins for The Best Egg Salad
Since we first posted this recipe, so many of you have chimed in with your favorite versions of egg salad. Here are a few great ideas for add-ins:
- Chopped bell pepper
- Pickles or pickle relish
- Smoked paprika
- Chopped green or kalamata olives
- Chopped cooked bacon
How to Avoid a Soggy Sandwich
The best way to avoid a soggy egg salad sandwich? Make your sandwich by laying a piece of lettuce over the toast, adding the egg salad, layering another piece of lettuce, and topping with the bread. The lettuce helps keep the bread from absorbing liquid from the egg salad.
The egg salad filling can also be prepared up to a day ahead and kept refrigerated. Wait to assemble your sandwich until just before eating.
More Recipes for Egg Salad
Quick and Easy Egg Salad Sandwich
This recipe is for a one egg sandwich. If you would like more egg salad in your sandwich, or if you are making more sandwich, you can easily scale up this recipe.
To make easy-to-peel hard boiled eggs, fill a saucepan with an inch of water and insert a steamer basket. Bring the water to a boil and place the eggs in the steamer basket. Cover the pan and let the eggs steam from the boiling water for 15 minutes. Then shock with cold water and peel.
You can also make easy-to-peel hard boiled eggs by cooking them in a pressure cooker.
- 1 hard-boiled large egg, peeled and chopped (See Recipe Note)
- 1-2 tablespoons mayonnaise (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion or chives
- A pinch of curry powder
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2 slices white, wheat, multigrain, or rye bread, toasted or plain
Make the egg salad:
Mash up the chopped egg a bit with a fork. Mix together the chopped hard-boiled egg, mayonnaise, celery and onion. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and curry powder to taste. Mix with a spoon.
Assemble the sandwich:
Toast your bread slices if making the sandwich with toast. Put a layer of lettuce on one slice of bread, spread the egg mixture on top of the lettuce, put another slice of bread on top.
Curried Egg Salad with Mango Chutney here on Simply Recipes