If you can, use yellow or orange tomatoes for this recipe because they are less acidic than red ones. However, if you can't find them, red ones will do just fine!
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion (about 1/2 small onion)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice (from 1/2 of a lemon)
- 1/3 cup raw, shelled pistachios
- 3 to 4 peaches, skins left on, cut into chunks (about 3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons champagne or white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 5 ounces mixed greens, like baby spinach, sorrel, or other seasonal farmers' market greens
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow or orange tomatoes (1 large tomato)
- Salt and pepper to taste
1 Soak the onion: Place the lemon juice in a small bowl and add the onions, gently tossing them with your fingers to coat. Let them soak for 10 to 15 minutes, then drain and set aside. This will take some of the bite out of the onion.
2 Toast the pistachios: In a small, dry skillet over medium heat, toast the pistachios, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes until fragrant and lightly toasted. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
3 Combine the peaches and honey: In a medium bowl, combine the peaches and honey until coated.
4 Make the dressing and toss the salad: In a large bowl, whisk together the vinegar and olive oil. Add the mixed greens and basil, and toss them together with your clean hands.
5 Assemble the salad. Place the greens on individual plates or a large platter. Evenly distribute the peaches, goat cheese, tomatoes, pistachios, and red onions over the greens. Serve immediately.