This recipe is easily doubled if you'd like to make more servings.
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 3 cups frozen cauliflower rice, store-bought or homemade
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon
- 2 handfuls baby spinach leaves (about 2 cups, packed)
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved, or quartered if large
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 8 to 10 extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 avocado, sliced (for garnish)
1 Cook the onion and cauliflower rice: In a large skillet over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of the oil. When the oil shimmers, add the chopped onion and cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the onion softens.
Add the cauliflower rice and 1/4 cup water to the skillet. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes, or until the cauliflower loses its raw taste. Stir in 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice, salt, pepper, and lemon zest.
3 Add the spinach and cherry tomatoes: Stir the spinach into the cauliflower and cook for 3 minutes, or until the spinach barely wilts. Stir in the tomatoes. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if you like. Remove from the heat and set aside while you cook the shrimp.
4 Cook the shrimp: In a nonstick skillet large enough to accommodate the shrimp in one layer, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and the garlic. Set the skillet over medium heat and cook for about 30 seconds, or just until the garlic sizzles. (Start by heating the garlic and oil at the same time in a cold pan to prevent the garlic from burning.)
Add the shrimp in one layer. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, or until the shrimp is opaque in the center. (Exact cooking time depends on the size of the shrimp.)
Remove the pan from the heat and sprinkle with the paprika. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice and the parsley. Turn the shrimp to coat it well in the lemony, garlicky oil.
5 Assemble the bowls: In two shallow bowls, divide the cauliflower rice. Top each with half the shrimp and garnish with slices of avocado. Serve warm or at room temperature.