Is there nothing better than French toast for Sunday breakfast?
Thick slices of bread, soaked in a mixture of beaten eggs with milk and cinnamon, toasted in a frying pan, and served with butter and maple syrup, this has to be one of our favorite, and most indulgent, breakfast dishes
Best Bread for French Toast
French toast comes out best if you work with thick slices of French or Italian loaf bread that are several days old. That way they’ve had a chance to firm up, which will make the slices hold up better when you dip them in the egg milk mixture and fry them.
Thin slices of fresh bread tend to fall apart or get mushy when you do this, making for lousy French toast.
French Toast Embellishments
- Powdered Sugar: Many people love to sprinkle powdered sugar over their French toast! Personally I think there’s is plenty enough sugar in the maple syrup, so I don’t bother with adding more.
- Orange zest and Triple Sec: One of my favorite variations, the idea for which I picked up from The Silver Palate Cookbook 20 some odd years ago, is to add some orange zest and a bit of Triple Sec orange liqueur to the batter for extra zing.
Watch the Video for How to Make French Toast!
French Toast Recipe
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 8 thick slices of 2-day-old bread (better if slightly stale)
- Butter (can sub vegetable oil)
- Maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup Triple Sec
- Fresh berries
1 Make the egg mixture: In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and cinnamon. Stir in the orange zest and/or Triple Sec if using. Whisk the mixture until well blended and pour into a shallow bowl, wide enough to place a slice of the bread you will be using.
2 Soak bread slices in egg mixture: Place each slice of bread into the milk egg mixture, allowing the bread to soak in some of it.
3 Fry the french toast: Melt some butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Shake off the excess egg mixture from the bread, and place the bread slices onto the hot skillet. Fry the French toast until browned on one side, then flip and brown the other side.
4 Serve hot with butter, maple syrup, and if available, fresh berries.
Hello! All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. Thank you!
Products We Love
This post may contain links to Amazon or other partners; your purchases via these links can benefit Simply Recipes. Read more about our affiliate linking policy.