Want the taste of gingerbread without the fuss of cookies? Make these Gingerbread Cupcakes! They're topped with layer of tangy lemon icing for the ideal (and EASY) holiday treat.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick of unsalted butter)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsulphured molasses (not blackstrap)
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup grated ginger (on the small holes of a box grater or using a microplane)
For the Lemon Icing:
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
1 Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners.
2 Make the cupcake batter: In a small bowl, melt the butter and water together in the microwave, covering the top with plastic wrap (in case it splatters). In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking soda and dry spices in a bowl.
In a third, large bowl, beat together the molasses and brown sugar until smooth by hand, using a hand mixer, or using a stand mixer. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating for 30 seconds between each.
Beat in the flour mixture slowly until just incorporated. Add the butter mixture and the grated ginger and beat until smooth. Batter will be runny.
3 Fill the cupcake liners: Spoon the batter into the cupcake liners, filling them about 3/4 full.
4 Bake: Bake the cupcakes for 12 to 14 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
5 Cool completely: Allow to cool for a minute in the muffin tin to set before transferring to a wire rack to fully cool.
6 Top with icing: Combine the powdered sugar and lemon juice together in a bowl and stir until smooth. Allow to stiffen up a bit for 4 minutes. Once the cupcakes are cool, spoon the icing over the cupcakes and allow to harden.