If your gluten-free flour blend does not contain xanthan gum in the ingredients, add 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum to the recipe.
Note that the FDA does list coconut as a tree nut, though many people with tree nut allergies are fine with coconut. If you're not sure if the person or people eating your cookies has a tree nut allergy that includes coconut, check with them before making this recipe, or substitute another fat in place of the coconut oil (we recommend butter if there are no dairy allergies, or vegan EarthBalance if there are).
- 1 3/4 cups (240g) gluten-free flour blend (see Recipe Note)
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon (30g) unsweetened dairy-free cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 1 large ripe banana
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (or other your oil of choice), liquid at room temperature
- 1 cup freshly brewed coffee, cooled to room temperature (use decaf if you’d like)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 batch Vegan Chocolate Frosting
1 Preheat the oven to 350°F and prepare the pan: Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
2 Mix the dry ingredients: In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the gluten-free flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and sugar.
3 Mix wet ingredients: In a separate medium mixing bowl, mash the banana with a fork or potato masher, and add the coconut oil, cooled coffee, vanilla and apple cider vinegar. Whisk until combined. (There may be small chunks of banana in the mixture, which is perfectly fine.)
4 Mix the cupcake batter: Add the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and stir thoroughly to combine using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula. Portion out the batter into the cupcake liners, filling each almost to the top.
5 Bake cupcakes for 18 to 20 minutes, or until cupcakes spring back ever so slightly when pressed in the center. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then transfer cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
6 Frost cupcakes: Once cool, frost cupcakes with Chocolate Fudge Frosting.
7 Serve, or store: Cupcakes can be served immediately. Cupcakes can also be stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days if unfrosted, or for 2 days once frosted.