Featured in 7 Smoothies to Kick off January
There are two things I know for sure about my friend Tess Masters. One is that she knows smoothies. The other is that she has an extraordinary palate. Which means when she comes up with a smoothie idea, it's going to be a winner!
The Green Mojito Smoothie from The Blender Girl Smoothies is a perfect example. Like the mojito flavors of lime and mint? Blend in some pineapple, coconut water, and kale, and you have not only the zesty refreshing taste of a mojito, but it's good for you too.
Like your power green smoothies? So do I, but not so much the flavor of raw greens. That's one reason why this smoothie is so lovely, you feel like you're enjoying a mojito, while you're drinking kale.
My only change to Tess's recipe was to add half an avocado to give the drink a smoother consistency. A little ginger can give it some spicy zing.
Tess is our go-to gal for fantastic vegan and gluten-free blender recipes. Check out her newest book The Perfect Blend, available now on Amazon.
Green Mojito Smoothie
- 1 cup (240ml) coconut water or water
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 3 limes, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup (25g) torn-up green kale leaves (1 or 2 large leaves with stalk removed)
- 1/2 cup (18g) firmly packed mint leaves
- 2 cups (320g) frozen pineapple
- 1/2 medium avocado, peeled and pitted (optional for added creaminess)
- 5 drops alcohol-free liquid stevia, plus more to taste
- Optional boosters:
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Special equipment:
Throw all of the ingredients into your blender and blast on high for 30 to 60 seconds, until smooth and creamy.
Reprinted with permission from The Blender Girl Smoothies, by Tess Masters, copyright ©2014, 2015, published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC.