Savory grits with extra corn and green onion greens, Parmesan cheese, and parsley.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large white or yellow onion, grated
- 1 cup whole corn kernels, either frozen or freshly cut from the cob
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup stone-ground grits or coarse-ground grits
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (about 3 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh green onion greens
1 Cook the onion and corn kernels: Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add the grated onion and cook, stirring, until transparent, about 2 minutes.
Add the corn kernels and cook, stirring occasionally, until the kernels become soft, about 5 minutes.
2 Add the milk, water, and 1 teaspoon of the salt. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat.
3 Whisk in the grits, decrease the heat to low, and simmer, whisking occasionally, until the grits are creamy and thick, 45 to 60 minutes.
4 Stir in the butter, Parmesan, parsley, and chopped green onions. Taste and adjust for seasoning with salt and pepper.