Look for skinless halibut fillets, or ask the person at the fish counter to remove them for you. If you end up with fillets with the skin still on, just cook them skin-side down and sprinkle the tops with the Panko.
- 4 halibut fillets (6 ounces each)
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- Leaves from 1 sprig rosemary
- Leaves from 2 stems thyme
- Leaves from 2 stems basil
- Leaves from 2 stems oregano
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons plus olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 bulb fennel, cored and sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
- 4 Roma (plum) tomatoes, halved lengthwise and cut into strips
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley (to garnish)
- 1 lemon, quartered (to garnish)
1 Prep the fish: Preheat the oven to 425° F. Place the halibut fillets on a large plate and season both sides with salt and pepper. Sprinkle each fillet with 1 teaspoon lemon juice.
2 Prep the herbs and Panko: Combine the herbs on a cutting board and coarsely chop. In a small bowl, combine the Panko, 2 teaspoons of the oil, and a pinch each of salt and pepper.
3 Cook the vegetables: In a large, oven-proof skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until it begins to soften. Add the fennel and bell pepper slices, and cook for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, olives, and the chopped herbs. Cook for 3 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
4 Bake the fish: Place the fish fillets on top of the vegetables in the skillet. Sprinkle each fillet with 2 tablespoons of the Panko mixture.
Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 6 minutes. Check the fish: if the panko is browning too quickly, place a piece of aluminum foil loosely on top of the fish.
Bake another 6 to 9 minutes (12 to 15 minutes total), until the center of the fish is opaque when probed with a small knife. If you have an instant read thermometer, the temperature of the center of the fish should register a 135°F.
5 Serve: Divide the vegetables between four plates and top each plate with a fish fillet. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with lemon wedges.