Make sure you use a wine that you like to drink! If it isn't good cold, it's not going to be any better hot.
- 1 (750ml) bottle of zinfandel, pinot noir, or other full-bodied robust red wine that you enjoy drinking
- 3/4 cup of water
- 3/4 cup of honey
- 15 whole black peppercorns
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick, plus extra (optional) for serving
- 1 star anise (or a couple cardamom pods or allspice berries)
- Thin peels of lemon zest for garnish
1 Combine the ingredients: Combine the wine, water, honey, peppercorns, cinnamon stick, and any other spices you are using in a 2-quart saucepan.
If you are unsure about the sweetness level, start with less honey and add more to taste.
2 Warm over medium-low heat until steamy and lightly simmering.
3 Serve: Strain into glass mugs. Serve with a thin strip of lemon zest and a bit of cinnamon stick.