Love hummus? It's so easy to make your own! Takes only 5 minutes, and is so much better than store-bought!
- 2 garlic cloves, mashed and roughly chopped
- 2 15-oz cans of chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
- 2/3 cup of tahini (roasted, not raw)
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup olive oil (plus more for garnishing)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Garnishes: A sprinkling of paprika, a swirl of olive oil, toasted pine nuts, and/or chopped parsley
1 In a food processor, combine the tahini and olive oil and pulse until smooth.
Then add the garbanzo beans, lemon juice, 1/2 cup water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Process until smooth. Add more salt or lemon juice to taste.
2 Spoon into serving dish, swirl a little olive oil over the top and sprinkle with garnishes—a little paprika, toasted pine nuts, or chopped fresh parsley.
Serve with crackers, raw dip vegetables such as carrots or celery, or with toasted pita bread.
To toast pita bread, cut the pita bread into triangles, brush with olive oil and toast for 10 minutes in a 375°F oven, turning them over half-way through the cooking.