A smooth soup made from jerusalem artichokes, onions, garlic, celery and stock.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 pounds jerusalem artichokes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 quart chicken stock (use vegetable stock for vegetarian option, and gluten-free stock if cooking gluten-free)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
1 Sauté the onions, celery, then garlic: Heat the butter in a soup pot over medium-high heat and cook the onions and celery until soft, about 5 minutes. Do not brown them. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Sprinkle with salt.
2 Add jerusalem artichokes and stock: Add the jerusalem artichokes and the chicken stock to the pot and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer, covered, until the jerusalem artichokes begin to break down, 45 minutes to an hour.
3 Purée the soup: Using an immersion blender or upright blender, purée the soup. If using an upright blender, fill the blender bowl up only to a third of capacity at a time, if the soup is hot, and hold down the lid while blending. Alternately, you can push the soup through the finest grate on a food mill, or push it through a sturdy sieve. Add salt to taste.
Sprinkle with freshly grated black pepper to serve.