To prep the kale, rinse and pat dry, strip out or cut out the tough inner stem and discard, chop the leaves enough so you can easily measure.
To toast almonds, heat them in a single layer in a small sauté pan on medium high to high heat, stirring occasionally. When the almonds begin to brown remove to a bowl to cool. The whole process only takes a couple of minutes, so keep an eye on them! They can go from lightly toasted to burned quickly.
- 3 cups (packed, 85 g) chopped fresh kale
- 1/2 cup (60 g) toasted, blanched almonds
- 1/2 cup (40 g) grated or shredded Parmesan
- Zest of one lemon (about a teaspoon)
- 3 cloves of garlic (less or more to taste), minced
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) olive oil
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 Pulse kale and almonds: Place the chopped fresh kale and toasted almonds in a food processor and pulse several seconds.
2 Add Parmesan, lemon zest, garlic, and pulse again several times. Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the food processor and pulse again.
3 Drizzle in olive oil: With the food processor running, slowly stream in the olive oil.
4 Stir in lemon juice, salt, pepper: Remove to a storage container, stir in lemon juice, salt and pepper, adjusting amounts to taste.
Use mixed in with pasta or rice or as a topping for chicken, beef, or seafood.