Zucchini and summer squash, sautéed with bell peppers, fresh tomatoes, onion, garlic, basil, and served with melted cheddar cheese!
- 2 pounds summer squash and/or zucchini, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeds removed, sliced
- 2 smallish tomatoes or one large tomato, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1/2 yellow onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 5 or 6 slices of cheese - jack or cheddar
- Basil, either dry or chopped fresh
- Salt and pepper
1 Sauté onions, garlic, squash, and bell pepper: Put onion, garlic, squash, bell pepper into a large saucepan with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. Put on high heat and brown the vegetables slightly to develop flavor.
As you are browning, sprinkle either dried basil or chopped fresh basil on the vegetables.
2 Add cheese: When vegetables are slightly browned, remove from heat, add the slices of cheese, and cover the pan.
3 Cook the tomatoes: In a separate stick-free fry pan, put the tomatoes and cook at medium hi heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. You want to let the juice from the tomatoes evaporate some.
4 Combine: After 5 minutes, add the tomatoes to the rest of the vegetables and stir. Salt and pepper to taste.