New potatoes tossed with a creamy sauce of Mozzarella, tomatoes, onions, cilantro and oregano. Inspired by Colombian papas chorreadas!
- 8 to 12 (about 1 pound) small red-skinned new potatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 4 large green onions, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 2 large fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese (fresh Mozzarella works well too!)
1 Boil the potatoes: Scrub the potatoes; do not peel. Place the potatoes in a large pan and cover with cold water and about 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes, or until tender when pierced. Drain. When cool enough to handle, cut large potatoes in halves or in quarters.
2 Make the sauce: Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and green onions and cook until wilted.
Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
Stir in the cream, cilantro, oregano, cumin. Add salt and pepper to taste, and bring to a simmer. While stirring, slowly add the cheese and cook until the cheese is melted.
3 Serve: Spoon the sauce over the potatoes to serve.