Hot cocoa made with cocoa powder and maple syrup. Mix with coconut milk, almond milk, or any other milk of your choice. Paleo, dairy-free, and vegan.
For the chocolate syrup:
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 tablespoon espresso powder (optional)
- 1 cup milk per person (like coconut milk, almond milk, dairy milk, or other favorite milk)
- Sweetener of your choice, like maple syrup or honey (optional)
- Coconut whipped cream (optional)
- Dark chocolate shavings (optional)
1 Bring the water to a boil in the microwave or on the stovetop.
2 Make the cocoa syrup: Place the cocoa powder and salt in a heat-proof bowl and pour the boiling water over top. Whisk until combined. Let sit five minutes. Add the maple syrup, vanilla, and espresso powder. Stir to combine.
The syrup is ready to use immediately, or let it cool completely, then transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate. This chocolate syrup will last in the fridge for several weeks.
3 Make the cocoa: Warm the milk (1 cup or so per person) in the microwave or on the stovetop. Transfer to a mug and stir in 2 tablespoons of syrup per cup. Taste and add additional syrup or sweetener if desired.