Easy and delicious classic plum cobbler, using Santa Rosa plums, topped with a biscuity cobbler topping.
- 3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp (170 g plus 30 g) of white sugar (can reduce to 1/2 cup for a more tart cobbler)
- 4 cups of seeded and sliced fresh plums (Santa Rosa plums work best), 10-18 plums, depending on the size of the plums
- 2 Tbsp instant tapioca (or cornstarch)
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (110 g) all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (50 g) butter
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
1 Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
2 In a large bowl, combine 3/4 cup white sugar, plums, instant tapioca, orange zest, and cinnamon. Place the fruit mixture in a 2-quart casserole.
3 In a medium bowl, combine the remaining 2 Tablespoons of sugar, flour, baking powder and salt. Cut the butter in with a fork, pastry blender, or your (clean) hands until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the milk and egg until just moistened (do not overmix).
4 Drop the batter in large spoonfuls onto the fruit mixture. Bake in a 350°F (175°C) oven for 35 minutes, until the cobbler topping is nicely browned and the filling is bubbly.
Serve with whipped cream (optional).