Casserole recipe with potatos, spinach, and Italian sausage. Perfect for a large family meal.
- 1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes (about 3 medium sized potatoes), peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 8 oz fresh spinach, washed, dried, and stemmed
- 1/2 lb of Italian sausage (we like 1/2 sweet and 1/2 hot Italian sausage), out of casing, broken into small pieces
- 1 large red onion (about 3/4 lb), peeled and sliced thin
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, plus extra to grease the baking dish
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
- Dash of nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup of shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
1 Preheat oven to 400°F. Butter a 6x9 or 8x8 inch baking dish.
2 Boil potatoes until tender: Place potato chunks in a large pot and add enough cold water to cover by 1 inch. Bring the potatoes to boil over high heat, then lower heat to a simmer. Cook until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
3 Cook the spinach: Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a large skillet on medium high heat. Add the spinach and cook, using tongs to turn the spinach leaves over in the pan, until wilted, about 3 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool. Wrap in paper towels and squeeze out liquid. Roughly chop the spinach.
4 Cook the Italian sausage: Wipe any remaining moisture out of the skillet. Add the Italian sausage to the pan and cook on medium-high heat until lightly browned, about 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer the sausage to a bowl.
5 Cook the red onions and garlic: You'll need 1 tablespoon of fat in the pan. So if the sausage has produced that much fat, great, if not, add more olive oil until you have 1 tablespoon of fat in the pan. Heat on medium high and add the thinly sliced red onions. Cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook a minute more. Add the onions and garlic to the bowl with the sausage.
6 Mash the potatoes with butter, cream, vinegar, seasonings: When the potatoes are done cooking, drain them and return them to the pot, and mash them with butter, cream, vinegar, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
7 Stir in the spinach and 1/2 cup of the cheese.
8 Bake: Transfer potato-spinach mixture to prepared baking dish. Top with sausage-onion mixture and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese. Bake until potatoes are very hot and cheese is golden and bubbly, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.