Hmm. “Quick stew” is somewhat of an oxymoron isn’t it? Most stews are braised in plenty of liquid for long slow cooking. This stew is barely “stewed”, and the main reason it comes together so quickly is that you are using top sirloin for the beef, a much more tender cut of beef than chuck, which is what is usually used in stews and requires long slow cooking to become tender.
This recipe is updated from one I posted several years ago, with slight modifications to extract more flavor from the ingredients given the short cooking time. The revised stew has passed the parent approval test, with two thumbs up from both mom and dad. Enjoy!
Quick Beef Stew with Mushrooms and White Beans RecipePrint
- 4-5 ounces of cremini or button mushrooms, quartered
- 4-5 ounces some other fresh mushroom, shiitake, oyster, chanterelle, etc.
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 1 medium onion, cut lengthwise into thin wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup dry white or red wine (can sub beef or chicken broth)
- 16-ounce can small white beans (such as Great Northern, navy, or cannellini), rinsed, drained
- 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes with garlic and onion, undrained
- Chopped parsley for garnish
1 Put a large skillet over high heat and add all the mushrooms. Shaking the pan from time to time to prevent the mushrooms from sticking, dry sauté them until they being to release their water. Keep cooking until the mushrooms begin to brown. Remove to a bowl and set aside.
2 Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to the skillet and turn the heat down to medium-high. Brown the beef cubes in batches, turning to brown at least two sides of the meat. Remove from skillet, add to the bowl with the mushrooms and sprinkle salt over them.
3 Add the carrots and sauté 3-4 minutes. Add the onions and cook another 5 minutes, then add the garlic and cook another minute. Add wine, bring to a boil and return the cooked beef and mushrooms to the pan. Continue cooking 3 more minutes.
4 Stir in the beans and tomatoes. Cook 5 minutes more. Add salt to taste. Serve, garnished with chopped parsley.
Hello! All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to Quick Beef Stew with Mushrooms and White Beans on Simply Recipes. Thank you!Print
This post may contain links to Amazon or other partners; your purchases via these links can benefit Simply Recipes. Read more about our affiliate linking policy.